handdator

Visa fullständig version : "When we lose antibiotics, here's everything else we'll lose too"

Exdiaq
2013-11-30, 20:09
When we lose antibiotics, here's everything else we'll lose too

This week, health authorities in New Zealand announced that the tightly quarantined island nation — the only place I’ve ever been where you get x-rayed on the way into the country as well as leaving it — has experienced its first case, and first death, from a strain of totally drug-resistant bacteria. From the New Zealand Herald:

"In January, while he was teaching English in Vietnam, (Brian) Pool suffered a brain hemorrhage and was operated on in a Vietnamese hospital.

He was flown to Wellington Hospital where tests found he was carrying the strain of bacterium known as KPC-Oxa 48 – an organism that rejects every kind of antibiotic.

Wellington Hospital clinical microbiologist Mark Jones (said): “Nothing would touch it. Absolutely nothing. It’s the first one that we’ve ever seen that is resistant to every single antibiotic known.”"

Pool’s death is an appalling tragedy. But it is also a lesson, twice over: It illustrates that antibiotic resistance can spread anywhere, no matter the defenses we put up — and it demonstrates that we are on the verge of entering a new era in history. Jones, the doctor who treated Pool, says in the story linked above: “This man was in the post-antibiotic era.”

“Post-antibiotic era” is a phrase that gets tossed around a lot these days, most of the time without people stopping to consider what it might really mean. A year ago, I started wondering what life would be like, if we really didn’t have antibiotics any more. I was commissioned and edited by got research support from (editing to make clear that they didn’t give me a grant; they don’t do that) the fantastic Food and Environment Reporting Network, and today Medium publishes our 4,000-word report, “Imagining a Post-Antibiotics Future” — a view from the far side of the antibiotic miracle.

If we really lost antibiotics to advancing drug resistance — and trust me, we’re not far off — here’s what we would lose. Not just the ability to treat infectious disease; that’s obvious.

But also: The ability to treat cancer, and to transplant organs, because doing those successfully relies on suppressing the immune system and willingly making ourselves vulnerable to infection. Any treatment that relies on a permanent port into the bloodstream — for instance, kidney dialysis. Any major open-cavity surgery, on the heart, the lungs, the abdomen. Any surgery on a part of the body that already harbors a population of bacteria: the guts, the bladder, the genitals. Implantable devices: new hips, new knees, new heart valves. Cosmetic plastic surgery. Liposuction. Tattoos.

We’d lose the ability to treat people after traumatic accidents, as major as crashing your car and as minor as your kid falling out of a tree. We’d lose the safety of modern childbirth: Before the antibiotic era, 5 women died out of every 1,000 who gave birth. One out of every nine skin infections killed. Three out of every 10 people who got pneumonia died from it.

And we’d lose, as well, a good portion of our cheap modern food supply. Most of the meat we eat in the industrialized world is raised with the routine use of antibiotics, to fatten livestock and protect them from the conditions in which the animals are raised. Without the drugs that keep livestock healthy in concentrated agriculture, we’d lose the ability to raise them that way. Either animals would sicken, or farmers would have to change their raising practices, spending more money when their margins are thin. Either way, meat — and fish and seafood, also raised with abundant antibiotics in the fish farms of Asia — would become much more expensive.

And it wouldn’t be just meat. Antibiotics are used in plant agriculture as well, especially on fruit. Right now, a drug-resistant version of the bacterial disease fire blight is attacking American apple crops. There’s currently one drug left to fight it. And when major crops are lost, the local farm economy goes too.

If you’ve been reading here a while, you’ll know that I write about antibiotic resistance, in human medicine and in agriculture, all the time (and wrote a book about it). But something personal propelled me into this story. By random chance, I received a copy of the obit of my great-uncle, my grandfather’s younger brother Joe.

I’d heard about Joe as I was growing up, because everyone said my father resembled him. All I knew was that he was good-looking, and died young, and there was something about his death that was tragic. He was a New York City fireman, and I always assumed he’d died in a fire. I was wrong. He died of an infection, 5 years before penicillin came on the scene.

Joe’s death was protracted, and terrible, and it changed my family forever. Seventy-five years later, we would like to think that deaths like his are impossible. But they aren’t; as the story from New Zealand shows, they are happening again. We have a few chances left to turn back the tide of resistance — but only a few, and not much room for mistakes. I hope we take them.

Länk (http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/11/end-abx/)

Hemi
2013-11-30, 20:16
En annan sak är att i en del länder ger man inte tillräckligt långa doser utan bara ett kort antal dagar och man skriver ut generöst men det är snarast det förstnämnda som är problemet där.

Ponde
2013-11-30, 20:36
En annan sak är att i en del länder ger man inte tillräckligt långa doser utan bara ett kort antal dagar och man skriver ut generöst men det är snarast det förstnämnda som är problemet där.

Vad menar du? Artikeln handlar ju om att vi använt FÖR MYCKET antibiotika och snart möter bakterier som är obotbara med våra nuvarande medel, eftersom att de bygger upp resistans.

Om något så är det ju bara bättre att ge mindre doser på kortare tid, eller?

Sniggel
2013-11-30, 20:41
Inte om doserna är så korta så att de bäst anpassade bakterierna med nöd o näppe överlever och börjar föröka sig igen. Man hjälper evolutionen på traven genom att sålla bort de bakterier som antibiotikan biter bra på och "låter" de mer resistenta få en chans att klara sig.

difeddy
2013-11-30, 20:46
Att ge längre doser handlar väl snarare om att minska risken för att vissa bakterier fortlever och sprider potentiellt antiresistenta gener vidare?

Hemi
2013-11-30, 21:02
Att ge längre doser handlar väl snarare om att minska risken för att vissa bakterier fortlever och sprider potentiellt antiresistenta gener vidare?

Ja altså angående det jag skrev så skriver man ut för lite vad som helst när som helst och bara 4-5 dagar och liknande, då får man den effekten Sniggel beskriver. Vad är en normal dos i Sverige?

Hemi
2013-11-30, 21:19
Men det är inte bara överdrivet användande som är problemet, om antibiotikan slutligen går ned i grundvattnet ändå, vad göra?

Sniggel
2013-11-30, 21:21
Ja altså angående det jag skrev så skriver man ut för lite vad som helst när som helst och bara 4-5 dagar och liknande, då får man den effekten Sniggel beskriver. Vad är en normal dos i Sverige?

Jag fick 10 dagar när jag tog och hörde att detta var en vanlig dosering för den magnitud av åkomma.

SeeYay
2013-11-30, 21:34
Onekligen läskigt.

Lite hopfullt:
http://www.ourprg.com/?p=5427

nissepelle
2013-11-30, 22:10
Vad menar du? Artikeln handlar ju om att vi använt FÖR MYCKET antibiotika och snart möter bakterier som är obotbara med våra nuvarande medel, eftersom att de bygger upp resistans.

Tankevurpa. Det kan verka så, men det är helt tvärtom. Antibiotikan tar kål på de enklaste bakterierna i en stam först. De tuffaste överlever längst och därför är det VÄLDIGT viktigt att man äter hela sin antibiotikakur. Vad blir resultatet annars? Jo man har lyckats avla fram en bakteriestam som är tåligare än den genomsnittliga bakterien av den här arten. Om denna stam sedan sprider sig till en annan person så har man plötsligt höjt ribban för hur motståndskraftig den "lättaste" bakterien i stamman är. Om detta görs flera gånger om kommer till slut bakteriestammen vara "avlad" så pass mycket att den är helt immun mot antibiotikan.

Exdiaq
2013-11-30, 22:27

För mycket antibiotika vid industriell djuruppfödning, ja.

Sniggel
2013-12-01, 00:46
Tankevurpa. Det kan verka så, men det är helt tvärtom. Antibiotikan tar kål på de enklaste bakterierna i en stam först. De tuffaste överlever längst och därför är det VÄLDIGT viktigt att man äter hela sin antibiotikakur. Vad blir resultatet annars? Jo man har lyckats avla fram en bakteriestam som är tåligare än den genomsnittliga bakterien av den här arten. Om denna stam sedan sprider sig till en annan person så har man plötsligt höjt ribban för hur motståndskraftig den "lättaste" bakterien i stamman är. Om detta görs flera gånger om kommer till slut bakteriestammen vara "avlad" så pass mycket att den är helt immun mot antibiotikan.

Precis. Man kan säga att det är lika bra att köra kuren ordentligt så att till och med de tuffa bakterierna stryker med och inte får chansen att föra vidare sina "above average gener" vidare. Det är ju dessutom meningen att infektionen ska bekämpas helt. Man ska ta antibiotika påpå allvar helt enkelt. Inte bara för sin egen skull utan för andras också.

Angel
2013-12-01, 01:23
Det är så sjukt skrämmande med antibiotikaöveranvändningen. Har varit på flera föreläsningar av STRAMA nyligen och verkligen fått upp ögonen för detta. Behövs dock uppmärksammas mycket mycket mer. Det är skrämmande hur folk fortfarande tror att de blir friska av antibiotika vid en förkylning. Och hur folk ofta argumenterar att de "måste bli friska fort" för de ska på semester om några dagar. Ja, jättesmart, ha ihjäl din naturflora så du bäddar för lite go magsjuka istället. Morr!

Angel
2013-12-01, 01:26
ESBL Carba finns ju redan på sjukhusen i Göteborg...

Hemi
2013-12-01, 02:00
Det är så sjukt skrämmande med antibiotikaöveranvändningen. Har varit på flera föreläsningar av STRAMA nyligen och verkligen fått upp ögonen för detta. Behövs dock uppmärksammas mycket mycket mer. Det är skrämmande hur folk fortfarande tror att de blir friska av antibiotika vid en förkylning. Och hur folk ofta argumenterar att de "måste bli friska fort" för de ska på semester om några dagar. Ja, jättesmart, ha ihjäl din naturflora så du bäddar för lite go magsjuka istället. Morr!

Läkare frågar patienten om de vill ha, vad de vill ha, så patienten blir nöjd. Det är vanligt häröver, de skulle bara behöva ett par ipren och några glas vatten och vila men istället får de antibiotika 4-5 dagar, det behövdes inte från början, men skulle heller inte göra bra om de behövdes. Det är så missbruket ser ut som jag ser det.

Exdiaq
2014-05-02, 00:08
Antibiotic Resistance Now A Global Threat According To Latest WHO Report

The World Health Organization (WHO) has issued a report (http://www.who.int/drugresistance/documents/surveillancereport/en/) that serves as a stark wake-up call to the growing worldwide problem of antimicrobial resistance. The report highlights the need for a concerted effort from both governments and society as a whole to tackle this ongoing issue which poses a “global health security threat.”

Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) occurs when organisms such as bacteria and viruses evolve mechanisms to evade therapeutic agents, for example antibiotics, rendering them ineffective. We’re all familiar with the “hospital superbug” MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), but that just scratches the surface on this now incredibly widespread problem.

Not only does AMR make infections more difficult to treat, it also means that relatively minor injuries and common infections have the potential to become life threatening. If we don’t step up our game, the achievements of modern medicine are seriously at stake.

In order to compile this report, the WHO gathered and analyzed surveillance data from 114 countries which detailed resistance rates amongst common disease causing pathogens. Amongst the findings was the worrying fact that the bacterial species K. pneumoniae, which commonly causes infections in hospitals and the community, is becoming increasingly resistant to last resort antibiotics, and drug resistance was found in every region surveyed.

Other bacterial species demonstrating both widespread and high levels of drug resistance were E. coli and S. aureus, which can cause urinary tract infections and blood stream infections. Around 20% of tuberculosis cases were also found to have multidrug-resistant TB.

The report also highlighted increasing resistance to antiviral drugs by both influenza viruses and HIV. In particular, they found that drug resistant HIV strains were being increasingly transmitted since between 10-17% of HIV infected patients in certain countries that had never received treatment were already resistant to at least one antiretroviral drug.

Antibiotic resistance is on the rise because of overuse and misuse of antibiotics both in medicine and agriculture. Not finishing the course of antibiotics and prescribing antibiotics when they are not needed both encourage the emergence of resistance. There is therefore a dire need for the development of novel antibiotics before the current ones become useless, meaning that common infections risk becoming fatal.

Hopefully this report will spur countries to come together to formulate a global plan to prevent this ominous situation from worsening, and may also serve to monitor future progress.

Länk (Antibiotic Resistance Now A Global Threat According To Latest WHO Report
Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/antibiotic-resistance-now-global-threat-according-latest-who-report#lEboc4i7PvJ6eL5R.99)

Scratch89
2014-05-02, 07:44
Om man nu lyckas odla fram sina egna MRSA, hur ska man då bära sig åt? Har haft ett par patienter som haft det, och det är rätt så strikt policy hur man ska hantera, med klädbyten osv. Men sånt måste väl läka ut av sig själv? Bara för att man får MRSA kommer man inte dö, eller?

Morrris
2014-05-02, 11:13
Om man nu lyckas odla fram sina egna MRSA, hur ska man då bära sig åt? Har haft ett par patienter som haft det, och det är rätt så strikt policy hur man ska hantera, med klädbyten osv. Men sånt måste väl läka ut av sig själv? Bara för att man får MRSA kommer man inte dö, eller?

Det beror ju på hur allvarlig infektionen är och hur mycket krut det finns kvar i immunförsvaret. Jag har också träffat några patienter med MRSA, vissa har haft det i år.

hampfuz
2014-05-02, 11:17

MRSA är väl bara en variant av stafylokocker som är resistenta mot antibiotika? Stafylokocker finns ju latent i typ en fjärdedel av befolkningen utan att orsaka infektion.

SeeYay
2014-05-02, 19:57
Ett annat exempel på pågående forskning med alternativ källa till antibiotika.

http://cen.acs.org/articles/90/web/2012/05/Modified-Bee-Peptide-Slays-Deadly.html

Men kanske minst lika läskigt är väl diverse virus som inte går att vaccinera mot eller bota. Tänker på Ebola som nyligen hade ett utbrott i Afrika. Hög dödlighet (upp till 90 procent). Och då karantän är ända metod till att stoppa ett utbrott från att bli en epedemi/pandemi.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/en/

Skulle Ebola mutera till att bli luftburet ..