handdator

Visa fullständig version : Relative Intensity??

Silveta
2013-01-18, 12:53
Sort of. The concept is the same but we can actually calculate our weights using relative intensities whereas RPE is more abstract. When you combine relative intensities (for weights) with Prilepin's table (for volume), developing a program becomes pretty simple.

So what is intensity? We'll define it in 2 ways: absolute and relative.

Absolute intensity is the actual intensity on the bar. For example, 90% absolute intensity of a 100lb 1RM is 90lbs.

Relative intensity, on the other hand, is what the load feels like for a given rep range. If the lifter does 1 rep, it feels exactly like the absolute intensity. In the above example that would be 90%. However, it should be obvious that if the lifter does 2 reps, it will feel more difficult than 90%. In that case, the relative intensity has gone up and will be greater than the absolute intensity of 90%.

The idea then is to base our training on relative intensity rather than absolute intensity. The relative intensity ranges are defined as follows:

90 – 100% Maximal Strength
80 - 89% Strength/Power
70 -79% Power/Work Capacity
<70% Work Capacity/Power/Speed Work

Now it comes down to how do we convert from relative intensity to absolute intensity so we know how much weight to put on the bar? This is how the math works: for each repetition, we decrease the absolute intensity by 2-3%. I use 2.5%. Example: 1 rep = 100%, 2 reps = 95%, 3 reps = 92.5%, 4 reps = 90%, etc. To get the absolute intensity, we multiply the relative intensity we want to train at by the intensity for that rep range. For example, if I want to train at 90% relative intensity for 3 reps, the absolute intensity is 90% x 92.5% = 83.25%. If my 1RM is 100lbs, I would want to put 83.25lbs on the bar (I'd have to round it to my plates obviously).

I have a spreadsheet that does the math if anyone is interested.

The amazing thing about relative intensities is that you know exactly how it feels under the bar for a specific rep range. Because the goal of the training is matched with an appropriate percentage for a rep range, you won’t be failing. Have you ever seen programming like 3x10 at 75%? The relative intensity for that comes out to 100%... it's like doing a 1RM! Most people will fail on the last rep of the second set and can't even complete the third set. By that time their CNS is burned out. With relative intensities no longer will you feel burned out after each session and with proper periodization you'll keep gaining.

The other great thing about relative intensities is it makes figuring out warmup sets a piece of cake. If I'm doing my work sets at 90% relative intensity, my warmup sets would then be 60, 70 and 80% relative intensity. I pick my rep ranges for them and do the math to convert to absolute intensity and I'm good to go.

For programming, a typical 4 week linear strength cycle might look this:

1: 90%
2: 93%
3: 96%
4: 85%

I like to use Prilepin for volume. I've actually created some software that generates my programming for me. I simply plug in my 1RMs and set what days I want to work out and it generates all the numbers for me.

Note that all of this is not my idea. I read about it somewhere on the internet and all of the above comes from my notes on it. I wish had discovered it when I started lifting 15 years ago. It really is genius IMHO.

Hittade följande citat nånstans på internet och blev väldigt inspirerad av det

kör för tillfället 5/3/1 men känner nu att jag vill slänga in 2-3 månader med lite högre arbetsvolym och tänkte att ovanstående teorier kan komma till pass.

Finns här någon som tränar efter liknande principer och kan berätta om era upplevelser kring det?

MVH

z_bumbi
2013-01-18, 13:03
Hurril och Mapa har skrivit ett antal inlägg om det.

Silveta
2013-01-18, 13:07
Hurril och Mapa har skrivit ett antal inlägg om det.

Försökte söka efter dessa men hittar inte riktigt, kanske jag söker fel.

mikaelj
2013-01-18, 13:17
Hans uträkningar kräver att man har koll på hur ens reps översätts. Vissa kan reppa på 95%, andra kan inte reppa förrns 90%, osv. Intressant, förstås.

Sedan vet jag inte riktigt hur det här skiljer sig från RPE. "Det är för abstrakt" och sedan står det inte mer. I RTS-manualen uppmuntras man att räkna ut just precis vad olika RPE och olika repsantal motsvaras av för procent. Det vill säga, exakt samma som killen skriver med många ord.

z_bumbi
2013-01-18, 13:28
Jag missade faktiskt att det inte var Borg etc utan att det var procenträkning så skippa mitt tidigare tips.

Silveta
2013-01-18, 13:33
Hans uträkningar kräver att man har koll på hur ens reps översätts. Vissa kan reppa på 95%, andra kan inte reppa förrns 90%, osv. Intressant, förstås.

Sedan vet jag inte riktigt hur det här skiljer sig från RPE. "Det är för abstrakt" och sedan står det inte mer. I RTS-manualen uppmuntras man att räkna ut just precis vad olika RPE och olika repsantal motsvaras av för procent. Det vill säga, exakt samma som killen skriver med många ord.

Så långt har jag inte ens tänkt, dock stämde de % som han körde med relativt bra överens med mina, kanske därför jag inte reflekterade nämnvärt.

Lät dock intressant nog att prova på så nu har jag snickrat ihop ett schema åt mig själv som ajg tänkte påbörja i februari.

Tanken är att jag då ska köra
V1: 93% RI 5x3
V2: 90% RI 5x5
V3: 5/3/1 1x5 95% RI, 1x3 100% RI, 3x1 95% 1RM
V4: Deload

Tanken är då att jag ska få ut lite mer volym än vanlig 5/3/1

Vad tror kolo?