handdator

Visa fullständig version : Whey protein is more anabolic than essential amino acids

Jocke77
2008-12-22, 10:47
hittade det här på md idag =)

For the past year, researchers have been going back and forth debating which is more anabolic Whey Protein or Essential Amino Acids (EAA) . A few months ago, it seemed that EAA was the winner; in a previous study researchers administered either 15 grams of whey protein or 15 grams of EAA to elderly participants. They found that ingestion of 15 g of EAA more than doubles muscle protein balance in elderly persons when compared to that of the ingestion of 15 g of whey, which would support a greater importance of the EAA (as opposed to whey) in improving muscle protein synthesis in elderly persons. EAA seemed like the more anabolic supplement but the researchers went back and examined the data they found that 15 grams of whey protein contained only 7 grams of EAA! So the study did not have the exact same EAA mix for whey protein compared to the EAA mix (7 grams of EAA found in whey compared to 15 grams of EAA).

The same research group went back and administers a dose to dose comparison and administered 15 grams of whey which contains roughly 7 grams of EAA and compared it to an equivalent EAA dose (~6.72 g of EAA). To the researchers surprise, whey protein resulted in greater anabolic effects than EAA when compared dose per dose. The study reported that EAA are not solely responsible for the anabolic properties of whey protein. They researchers concluded that whey protein whole consumption is greater than the sum of its parts (EAA) or effects beyond that of just the amino acid content. So what ingredient in whey protein could be enhancing anabolic actions? Here is what is interesting, was that the two dosages each had the exact same dosage of leucine, so there was something else in whey protein causing the greater anabolic effect. The researchers hypothesized that the increase in the plasma concentration of the amino acid cysteine from whey protein, which has previously been found to augment muscle protein anabolism may have enhanced muscle protein synthesis. Whey protein resulted in a greater insulin response than EAA which also could have augmented the anabolic actions of whey protein. The researchers explained that whey protein is a potent stimulator of Gastric Inhibitory Polypeptide (GIP), also known as the glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide. It is now believed that the function of GIP is to induce insulin secretion. Relative to that, it is known that whey protein is a strong stimulator of GIP secretagogue, possibly through bioactivepeptides present in whey or formed during its digestion, and that the plasma GIP concentration is greater after ingestion of intact protein than a similar amount of protein in the form of free Amino Acids. The researchers also commented that whey protein is inexpensive and also has additional health benefits that can’t be found in EAA. For example, cysteine-supported glutathione synthesis is implicated in protection against oxidative stress, whereas β-lactoglobulin and α-lactalbumin are major whey proteins modulating immune function. They researchers concluded that the anabolic actions of whey go beyond just EAA’s and the whole (Whey protein) are greater than the sum of parts (EAA).

Christos S. Katsanos, David L. Chinkes, Douglas Paddon-Jones, Xiao-jun Zhang, Asle Aarsland, Robert R. Wolfe. Whey protein ingestion in elderly persons results in greater muscle protein accrual than ingestion of its constituent essential amino acid content. Nutr Res. 2008 Oct;28(10):651-8.

King Grub
2008-12-22, 10:57
Ja, proteinmetabolismen är inte densamma hos gamla (70+) som hos unga, och vassleprotein har sedan länge varit känt som mycket gynnsamt hos denna grupp.

Effekten av snabbt/långsamt protein är t ex den motsatta hos gamla som hos unga, där vassle ger den bättre proteinbalansen hos gamla.

Gensvaret på EAA-intag blir nedreglerat när man blir gammal. Upptaget av EAA i muskulaturen är nära tre gånger så stort hos unga som hos gamla.

the mean (+/-SEM) net phenylalanine uptake after EAA ingestion was significantly less in the elderly (9.9 +/- 3.7 mg/leg) than in the young (25.1 +/- 3.7 mg/leg; P < 0.05).

These data indicate that aging results in a diminished accretion of muscle proteins after ingestion of a small dose of EAAs

Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Nov;82(5):1065-73.

Hejnomax
2008-12-22, 11:04
EAA seemed like the more anabolic supplement but the researchers went back and examined the data they found that 15 grams of whey protein contained only 7 grams of EAA! So the study did not have the exact same EAA mix for whey protein compared to the EAA mix (7 grams of EAA found in whey compared to 15 grams of EAA).

Chockerande research här. Även om jag som lekman har lite svårt att förstå sådan här forskning-matematik som dom använder sig av.

Edit: min post hamnade i skuggan av King Grubs stora avatar. fan

BigBuck
2009-04-05, 17:36
OK....så utöver vad Paddon-Jones et al kommer fram till i EAA:s stimulation på proteinsyntesen hos såväl gamla som unga, så skulle man alltså kunna lägga till att vassle vore ett än mer kraftfullt alternativ för gamla?

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 286: E321-E328, 2004. First published October 28, 2003: Amino acid ingestion improves muscle protein synthesis in the young and elderly.

King Grub
2009-04-05, 17:40
Det är inte säkert.

To counteract the debilitating progression of sarcopenia, a protein supplement should provide an energetically efficient anabolic stimulus. We quantified net muscle protein synthesis in healthy elderly individuals (65-79 yrs) following ingestion of an isocaloric intact whey protein supplement (WY; n=8) or an essential amino acid supplement (EAA; n=7). Femoral arterio-venous blood samples and vastus lateralis muscle biopsy samples were obtained during a primed, constant infusion of L-[ring-2H5]phenylalanine. Net phenylalanine uptake and mixed muscle fractional synthetic rate (FSR) were calculated during the post-absorptive period and for 3.5 h following ingestion of 15 g EAA or 15 g whey. After accounting for the residual increase in the intracellular phenylalanine pool, net post-prandial phenylalanine uptake was 53.4+/-9.7 mg phe leg-1 (EAA) and 21.7+/-4.6 mg phe leg-1 (WY), (P<0.05). Postabsorptive FSR values were 0.056+/-0.004% h-1 (EAA) and 0.049+/-0.006% h-1 (WY), (P>0.05). Both supplements stimulated FSR (P<0.05), but the increase was greatest in the EAA group with values of 0.088+/-0.011% h-1 (EAA) and 0.066+/-0.004% h-1 (WY), (P<0.05). While both EAA and WY supplements stimulated muscle protein synthesis, EAAs may provide a more energetically efficient nutritional supplement for elderly individuals.

Exp Gerontol. 2006 Feb;41(2):215-9. Differential stimulation of muscle protein synthesis in elderly humans following isocaloric ingestion of amino acids or whey protein.

BigBuck
2009-04-05, 17:40
EDIT: sorry, såg nu din rad "Effekten av snabbt/långsamt protein är t ex den motsatta hos gamla som hos unga, där vassle ger den bättre proteinbalansen hos gamla.".

OVER & OUT

BigBuck
2009-04-05, 17:42
Det är inte säkert.

Exp Gerontol. 2006 Feb;41(2):215-9. Differential stimulation of muscle protein synthesis in elderly humans following isocaloric ingestion of amino acids or whey protein.

OK. Så resultaten där visar på tvärtom?
Kort sagt: tillbaka på ruta 1, när de resultaten ställs mot varandra.

CVN
2009-04-05, 17:42
Då får man edita lite i kreatin tråden

Hur skiljer sig EAA från andra kosttillskott?
- EAA har visat sig stimulera proteinsyntesen kraftigt, mycket kraftigare än t.ex vassleprotein. Man har sett att effekten blir som störst direkt före träning, men att effekten även finns när man inte tar det i samband med träning, dock i mindre skala.

King Grub
2009-04-05, 17:43
Då får man edita lite i kreatin tråden

Varför? Hur många styrketränande medlemmar på 70 år och över har vi? Om det ens gäller för dessa.

CVN
2009-04-05, 17:45
Varför? Hur många styrketränande medlemmar på 70 år och över har vi? Om det ens gäller för dessa.

Hur vet du att dem testade är 70+ ?, hittar inte det i texten.

Eddie Vedder
2009-04-05, 17:56
Hur vet du att dem testade är 70+ ?, hittar inte det i texten.

"Elderly" står det. Det är alltid den åldern på de som klassas som "äldre" i såna här studier. Man är alltså inte äldre för att man nått 40+ t.ex.;)

I övrigt går det att läsa mer konkreta siffror för den som har tillgång till fullängdaren, men det gissar jag att du inte har.

Jag klippte ut en liten del från fullängdaren angående det där:

Fifteen elderly subjects (60-85 years old) who were
living independently with no limit in ambulation were
included in this study. None of the subjects were habitually
physically active.

CVN
2009-04-05, 18:07
"Elderly" står det. Det är alltid den åldern på de som klassas som "äldre" i såna här studier. Man är alltså inte äldre för att man nått 40+ t.ex.;)

I övrigt går det att läsa mer konkreta siffror för den som har tillgång till fullängdaren, men det gissar jag att du inte har.

Jag klippte ut en liten del från fullängdaren angående det där:

Tack!

mikaelj
2009-04-06, 15:28
Lite smått relaterat till det här:

http://www.ifokus.se/ShowUserFile.aspx?BinaryId=e3652329-cf62-44d9-b06d-caa96e0b2c8c

Vassle och EAA är enligt den här sämre. Vad har jag missuppfattat?

King Grub
2009-04-06, 15:32
Långsamt protein ger den bättre proteinbalansen om man ser på ett enda intag. Men långsamt protein stimulerar inte proteinsyntesen, vilket snabbt gör.

Leucinbalans är dessutom inte ett speciellt bra mått. En stor del av leucinet oxiderar efter det att det tagits upp i muskulaturen.

mikaelj
2009-04-06, 15:44
Vilken kombination av proteinsorter ger bäst proteinbalans sett över lite längre tid, i samband med träning? Mjölkprotein (80/20), vassle, EAA? Ostgratinerat kött?

King Grub
2009-04-06, 16:41
Något sådant är inte undersökt.

Störst akut stimulans ger EAA, medan kasein och vassle båda stimulerar anabolism, men det är oklart vilket som är effektivast.

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Dec;36(12):2073-81. Ingestion of casein and whey proteins result in muscle anabolism after resistance exercise. (http://www.sportsnutritionworkshop.com/Files/18.SPNT.pdf)

Mjök ger bättre proteinbalans än sojaprotein.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/85/4/1031

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/86/2/373

Äggprotein är också en effektiv stimulator av proteinsyntesen efter träning.

http://jp.physoc.org/cgi/rapidpdf/jphysiol.2008.164087v1

Övrigt protein från vanliga födokällor är inte undersökta i samband med träning.

Fredrik_S
2009-04-07, 00:45

Störst akut stimulans ger EAA, medan kasein och vassle båda stimulerar anabolism, men det är oklart vilket som är effektivast.

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Dec;36(12):2073-81. Ingestion of casein and whey proteins result in muscle anabolism after resistance exercise. (http://www.sportsnutritionworkshop.com/Files/18.SPNT.pdf)

Övrigt protein från vanliga födokällor är inte undersökta i samband med träning.

Finns det någon speciell anledning att det inte undersöks eller används vid undersökningar? Borde inte det vara ännu mer intressant att veta?
Jag skulle iallafall gärna se en undersökning på hur en vanlig fläskkottlett är jämfört med vassle tex..

Airline
2009-04-07, 01:04
Hej jag har sökt runt på de forumet och letat efter studier som visar att en mängd på ca 0,5g vassleprotein*kg kroppvikt är den mängd som ger bäst gensvar. Någon som kan hjälpa mig här? Nu jämför jag inte med andra proteinsorter utan endast vassle.

King Grub
2009-04-07, 04:16
Något sådant är inte visat. Snarare pekar det mesta på att kanske 20 gram protein efter träning är maxdos.

pia
2009-04-07, 15:21

Om man inte tränar utan har sojaprotein som mellanmål. Är det då inte en sämre proteinkälla än mjölk?

King Grub
2009-04-07, 15:23
Jo. Sojaprotein kan inte användas riktigt lika bra i muskelproteinsyntesen som mjölkprotein.