handdator

Visa fullständig version : intressant läsning - portionstorlek

Guddi
2007-10-31, 09:23
EDIT: Usel rubrik jag vet, någon moderator får gärna fixa till den... :em:

Stötte på dessa artiklarna på ett annat forum, tänkte att det säkert skulle vara intressant läsning för det flesta här på Kolo med.

1: Obes Res. 2005 Jan;13(1):93-100.
Bottomless bowls: why visual cues of portion size may influence intake.
Wansink B, Painter JE, North J.

OBJECTIVE: Using self-refilling soup bowls, this study examined whether visual
cues related to portion size can influence intake volume without altering either
estimated intake or satiation. RESEARCH METHODS AND PROCEDURES: Fifty-four
participants (BMI, 17.3 to 36.0 kg/m2; 18 to 46 years of age) were recruited to
participate in a study involving soup. The experiment was a between-subject
design with two visibility levels: 1) an accurate visual cue of a food portion
(normal bowl) vs. 2) a biased visual cue (self-refilling bowl). The soup
apparatus was housed in a modified restaurant-style table in which two of four
bowls slowly and imperceptibly refilled as their contents were consumed. Outcomes
included intake volume, intake estimation, consumption monitoring, and satiety.
RESULTS: Participants who were unknowingly eating from self-refilling bowls ate
more soup [14.7+/-8.4 vs. 8.5+/-6.1 oz; F(1,52)=8.99; p<0.01] than those eating
from normal soup bowls. However, despite consuming 73% more, they did not believe
they had consumed more, nor did they perceive themselves as more sated than those
eating from normal bowls. This was unaffected by BMI. DISCUSSION: These findings
are consistent with the notion that the amount of food on a plate or bowl
increases intake because it influences consumption norms and expectations and it
lessens one's reliance on self-monitoring. It seems that people use their eyes to
count calories and not their stomachs. The importance of having salient, accurate
visual cues can play an important role in the prevention of unintentional
overeating.

2: Int J Obes (Lond). 2006 May;30(5):871-5.
The office candy dish: proximity's influence on estimated and actual consumption.
Wansink B, Painter JE, Lee YK.

OBJECTIVE AND PURPOSE: Although there is increasing interest in how environmental
factors influence food intake, there are mixed results and misunderstandings of
how proximity and visibility influence consumption volume and contribute to
obesity. The objective of this paper is to examine two questions: first, how does
the proximity and salience of a food influence consumption volume? Second, are
proximate foods consumed more frequently because they are proximate, or are they
consumed more frequently because people lose track of how much they eat? RESEARCH
METHODS AND PROCEDURES: The 4-week study involved the chocolate candy consumption
of 40 adult secretaries. The study utilized a 2 x 2 within-subject design where
candy proximity was crossed with visibility. Proximity was manipulated by placing
the chocolates on the desk of the participant or 2 m from the desk. Visibility
was manipulated by placing the chocolates in covered bowls that were either clear
or opaque. Chocolates were replenished each evening, and placement conditions
were rotated every Monday. Daily consumption was noted and follow-up
questionnaires were distributed and analyzed. RESULTS: There were main effects
for both proximity and visibility. People ate an average of 2.2 more candies each
day when they were visible, and 1.8 candies more when they were proximately
placed on their desk vs 2 m away. It is important to note, however, that there
was a significant tendency for participants to consistently underestimate their
daily consumption of proximately placed candies (-0.9) and overestimate their
daily consumption of less proximately placed candies (+0.5). DISCUSSION: These
results show that the proximity and visibility of a food can consistently
increase an adult's consumption of it. In addition, these results suggest that
people may be biased to overestimate the consumption of foods that are less
proximate, and to underestimate those that are more proximate. Knowing about
these deviation tendencies is important for those attempting effectively monitor
their consumption of fat and sugar.

3: Am J Prev Med. 2006 Sep;31(3):240-3.
Ice cream illusions bowls, spoons, and self-served portion sizes.
Wansink B, van Ittersum K, Painter JE.

BACKGROUND: Because people eat most of what they serve themselves, any contextual
cues that lead them to over-serve should lead them to over-eat. In building on
the size-contrast illusion, this research examines whether the size of a bowl or
serving spoon unknowingly biases how much a person serves and eats. METHODS: The
2 x 2 between-subjects design involved 85 nutrition experts who were attending an
ice cream social to celebrate the success of a colleague in 2002. They were
randomly given either a smaller (17 oz) or a larger (34 oz) bowl and either a
smaller (2 oz) or larger (3 oz) ice cream scoop. After serving themselves, they
completed a brief survey as their ice cream was weighed. The analysis was
conducted in 2003. RESULTS: Even when nutrition experts were given a larger bowl,
they served themselves 31.0% more (6.25 vs 4.77 oz, F(1, 80) = 8.05, p < 0.01)
without being aware of it. Their servings increased by 14.5% when they were given
a larger serving spoon (5.77 vs 5.04 oz, F(1, 80)=2.70, p = 0.10). CONCLUSIONS:
People could try using the size of their bowls and possibly serving spoons to
help them better control how much they consume. Those interested in losing weight
should use smaller bowls and spoons, while those needing to gain weight--such as
the undernourished or aged--could be encouraged to use larger ones. Epidemiologic
implications are discussed.

Eddie Vedder
2007-10-31, 09:36
Det här bevisar ju ytterligare hur utbrett det är med felrapportering om matvanor och hur olika folk uppskattar vad dom äter, t.ex. hur stor "en smörgås" är. Bara en så simpel sak att vi fyller tallriken oavsett hur stor den är nästan (syftar till sista artikeln med glasskålarna).

Det är ju knappast ovanligt på kolo med personer som äter "JÄTTEMYCKET" och påstår att viktuppgång är helt omöjligt. Vad som är mycket, lite, tillräckligt, måttligt o.s.v. är grymt luddigt och varierande.

Intressanta abstracts.:thumbup:

Knabb
2007-10-31, 10:01
Det verkar som om det gäller att fortsätta använda vågen om man vill få det korrekt:)

Eddie Vedder
2007-10-31, 10:09
Det verkar som om det gäller att fortsätta använda vågen om man vill få det korrekt:)

Ja precis, den här tråden ska jag nog börja länka till i trådar som handlar om personer som minsann "VET" att dom äter tillräckligt mycket/lite för att nå sina viktmål men att det i själva verket är rätt komplicerat.

Jag har läst någon studie för ett tag sen som jag inte minns så väl, men det var lite samma stuk. Folk fick helt enkelt äta så mycket dom ville och med tiden blev portionerna större och större, försökspersonerna själva ansåg dock att dom åt lika mycket fortfarande trots att man noggrant kontrollerade hur mycket dom de facto lassade på tallriken.

Just det där är ju en brist i epidemiologiska studier också. Exempelvis visar det sig att personer som håller vikten ofta äter livsmedel x, då tillskrivs livsmedel x som ett jättebra livsmedel för att hålla vikten.
I själva verket kanske det är så att människor som ofta äter livsmedel x är hälsomedvetna personer som rent allmänt äter med måttlighet, är fysiskt aktiva o.s.v.

Tintomara
2007-10-31, 11:08
Att använda mindre tallrikar (assietter/tefat) har i alla fall hjälpt mig att dra ner på matintaget. När jag är hungrig (vilket jag oftast är vid matdags) så har jag hemskt svårt för att låta bli att lassa tallriken full. Men om tallriken är liten så gör det ju inget. Eller i alla fall så gör det mindre. Det blir oftast inget kaloriöverskott, ens om maten i sig är energität.

machine gun
2007-10-31, 12:39
Att minska tallriksstorleken är ett klassiskt knep i överviktsbehandling. Ofta uppger patienterna att de känner sig lika mätta ändå. Man äter ju väldigt mkt med ögonen också och jag vet själv att man påverkas av tallrikens storlek, jag fyller alltid hela tallriken, det går liksom av sig självt.

Torwald
2007-10-31, 18:33
Mycket intressant. Jag tar alltid mindre talrikar när jag känner på mig att jag kommer att "överäta".

maaherra
2007-11-01, 00:54
Använder själv större tallrikar för att kunna överäta ännu mer *popcorn*

pony
2007-11-01, 01:21
Lite off topic men...

Enligt min uppfattning är det ganska vanligt med exakt likadana portionsstorlekar t.ex. i en familj, oavsett vem det är som äter. Kön, ålder, kroppsmassa, aktivitetsnivå, etc. tas i väldigt liten beräkning.
Ok, en stor och hårt arbetande människa kanske tar påfyllning självmant. Men för någon att äta en väsentligt mindre portion än någon annan vid ett bord verkar inte vara särskilt socialt accepterat.
Bara en spontan tanke angående hur man kommer att överäta...

Torwald
2007-11-01, 07:08
Lite off topic men...

Enligt min uppfattning är det ganska vanligt med exakt likadana portionsstorlekar t.ex. i en familj, oavsett vem det är som äter. Kön, ålder, kroppsmassa, aktivitetsnivå, etc. tas i väldigt liten beräkning.
Ok, en stor och hårt arbetande människa kanske tar påfyllning självmant. Men för någon att äta en väsentligt mindre portion än någon annan vid ett bord verkar inte vara särskilt socialt accepterat.
Bara en spontan tanke angående hur man kommer att överäta...
Känner igen det där otroligt mycket, åtminstone i min familj/släkt.

Tabbe
2007-11-01, 08:31
Känner igen det där otroligt mycket, åtminstone i min familj/släkt.

samma här inte bara i familjen utan också hos de flesta.

Slartibartfast
2007-11-01, 12:01
Pony, japp, så är det!